The Division has an obligation to keep the stakeholders accurately informed about Division activities. One mechanism for achieving this objective is the use of print, radio, television and social media.
The Division believes in developing and maintaining an open and professional relationship with the media.
The Division strives to foster quality relationships with the media and to establish a climate of communication that is open, ethical, credible and professional.
To maximize media opportunities and to enhance the position of the Division and of our schools, the following procedures shall apply:
- In all cases of media communications, the provision of FOIP Act, Board Policy and administrative procedures must be respected.
- The Board Chair or the Superintendent shall authorize news releases on behalf of the Division.
- The Superintendent shall coordinate communication with the media.
- At the school level, the Principal shall be the primary spokesperson.
- All school-based news releases must be cleared through the Division Office prior to release. This excludes school events specific to one school and not impacting any other segment of the Division’s operations; i.e., a school talent show. A copy of any school news release is to be shared with Division Office.
- All news releases or other forms of communication regarding any Division operation, including school issued communications, must be accurate, complete and timely.
- Division Office will plan and implement all major media announcements and news conferences.
- In the event of a critical incident at a school site, all media communications are to be directed to Division Office until such time as a site-based media spokesperson contact is established. In such cases, direct on-site communication by students and staff with the media is to be coordinated through the media spokesperson and are otherwise discouraged.
- Only individuals designated as official corporate spokespersons may serve as spokesperson for the Division. The following individuals are designated as official corporate spokespersons:
- Board Chair – addresses Board policies and decisions.
- Superintendent – addresses Division operation and actions.
- Principals – on school specific operations or activities.
- Regular school newsletters are to be provided for families with children enrolled in Division schools.
- The Superintendent or designate will contact the media to make press releases or provide coverage for local events.
- The Principal or designate is authorized to contact the local media to provide for coverage of special school events.
Sections 27, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Board Policy 5 Role of the Board Chair
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Reviewed February 2017