Each site shall develop and renew annually a plan to provide for the safety of students and staff in an emergency situation.
- In an emergency, the Principal/site supervisor shall make the final decision regarding site evacuations and if possible, shall consult with the Superintendent.
- During emergency situations involving a site, the Superintendent shall normally coordinate all communications with the media.
- Each Principal must develop and keep current an Emergency Response Plan.
- At the beginning of each school year, the Principal shall ensure that the Emergency Response Plan is reviewed with staff and updated if needed.
- Every incidence involving weapons will be treated very seriously by notifying the R.C.M.P. forthwith and following the advice of the police.
- When the municipality declares a state of local emergency, the Municipal Disaster Plan will be implemented.
- The Principal shall establish, in accordance with legislative and code requirements and in consultation with the local Fire Department, a program and procedures to ensure prompt and orderly evacuation of the school in the event of an emergency.
- This program shall include at a minimum:
- The development of written school evacuation procedures;
- The posting of primary and secondary evacuation routes for each room;
- A minimum of six (6) drills per school year to train staff and students in evacuation procedures;
- Periodic reviews with staff and students of the procedure; and
- Problems experienced and follow up action taken.
- The Principal shall cooperate fully with local fire authorities to ensure that Fire Department requirements and inspection recommendations are implemented in a forthright manner.
- Each Principal is required, in consultation with the community, to have in place:
- Evacuation drill procedures;
- Adequate numbers of staff trained in the operation of school emergency plans to facilitate effective decision making in the absence of the Principal; and
- Specific procedures regarding school emergency plans, both internal and external.
Sections 20, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Disaster Services Act
Section 3, Government Emergency Planning Regulation
Board Policy 1 Division Foundational Statements
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Reviewed January 2014