Alberta Transportation Survey
Important Transportation Survey
The Government of Alberta is currently reviewing the transportation support and funding it provides to school boards to ensure we have the necessary resources to provide busing services to our students.
As part of the review, the government is asking families to participate in an online survey http://bit.ly/2vJ4HHN.
Transportation is a significant issue for Northern Gateway Public Schools and the NGPS Board has been advocating for change for a number of years. As your Board Chair, I encourage you to share your voice.
Some facts about NGPS School Bus Transportation:
• Northern Gateway Public Schools manages 83 school bus routes.
• We own and operate our own fleet of 13 school buses and work with 7 private contractors to provide busing service on 70 additional routes.
• We ensure 3,555 students receive daily transportation to 16 public schools and 3 Catholic schools in our region.
• Each day, 83 school bus drivers travel more than 10,607 kilometres.
• NGPS operates a Transportation garage which is located in Valleyview.
• The cost of buses has increased. In 2013, a bus cost $85,000 CDN. In 2016, the cost was $113,000 CDN.
On behalf of Northern Gateway Public Schools and the Board of Trustees, I thank you in advance for participating in this important survey. Your voice matters and our collective voice has the potential to positively impact transportation funding for rural students.
Board Chair, Northern Gateway Public Schools