The Division believes in establishing a common Division school year to accommodate the effective delivery of the education program.
- The Superintendent will recommend to the Board for approval the minimum instructional hours for each school year at each grade level.
- The Superintendent will recommend a common Division school year, in consultation with schools, School Councils and other affected jurisdictions, for Board approval.
- The Superintendent will ensure that the school year includes sufficient days to accommodate the minimum instructional hours at each grade level.
- In addition to the required instructional time, the calendar must include the following days:
- One (1) Staff Planning and Development day for opening of the school year;
- One (1) Staff Planning and Development day for closing of the school year;
- Parent-Teacher interview days or days in-lieu;
- Semester break (if needed);
- Two (2) Teachers’ Convention days.
- Principals are encouraged to consider the need for appropriate recess breaks, breaks between classes, lengths of classes, etc. when constructing the daily schedule.
- A request to the Superintendent to modify the approved school year must include the following:
- Rationale for the modification to the official school year;
- Effect on busing and other schools;
- Number of instructional hours;
- Length of school day;
- Number of operational days; and
- Other considerations.
- Early school closure time is not instructional time.
Sections 56, 61, 97 School Act
Base Instruction Funding Grades 1-12, Section 1.2, Funding Manual
ECS Base Instruction Funding, Section 1.1, Funding Manual
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Reviewed February 2017