Religious Materials In Schools
The distribution in schools of sacred writings, where there is worldwide adherence to some basic doctrines/ceremonies, is supportive of the ethical and spiritual values of public education.
- The distribution in schools of sacred writings, writings dedicated to or reserved for the worship of a deity, of major religions is at the sole discretion of the Principal and may be authorized for distribution in schools under the following conditions:
- Materials are free;
- Only the unedited and uninterrupted writings – in whole or in part – may be distributed;
- Parents have authorized consent through an “Opt in” form/card;
- Distribution can occur in one or more schools, at any grade, at any time of the year;
- Schools are encouraged to have the sacred writings of various religions as reference material in school libraries.
- Where the distribution of religious materials is deemed to be for the advancement of religion or a particular religion, staff is to ensure that school time is not made available to provide an “audience” for the distributor. Such events are to be scheduled outside of the school day and are not to be school sanctioned. In particular, the following activities are all prohibited:
- The taking up of collections or the selling of religious subscriptions;
- The distribution of religious advertising materials;
- The distribution of religious questionnaires or surveys;
- Promoting the sale of religious supplies, articles or materials.
Sections 3, 20, 50, 60, 6, 1131 School Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised January 2012