Early Childhood Services
Early Childhood Services (ECS) is a voluntary program, the objective of which is to integrate educational, health, social, and recreational services for pre-school aged children. The program is to strengthen the sense of dignity and self worth of the child and provide parents opportunities to actively participate in their children’s programming.
The Division believes in the importance of a quality kindergarten program to provide developmentally appropriate learning experiences.
- The Division shall provide an Early Childhood Services Program designed to enhance student abilities and skills, and address children’s developmental needs.
- The program will be consistent with the Philosophy, Goals and Program Dimensions prescribed by Alberta Education and the Division.
- Eligibility for entrance to ECS programs will be as outlined in Administrative Procedure 300 and 301.
- Enrollment in ECS is voluntary.
- Current provincial regulations with respect to safety standards, programs, policies, teachers, records, finance, and insurance will be strictly maintained.
- Each child with a severe exceptional code for whom Program Unit Funding is being accessed will have an Instructional Support Plan in place to address their learning needs and supports.
- Residency rules for public and separate school divisions do not apply for kindergarten children.
- The Superintendent, annually, and no later than March 1, shall recommend to the Board a maximum kindergarten fee for enhanced programming beyond that allowed for in the Funding Manual for School Authorities.
Sections 8, 18, 20, 30, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Early Childhood Regulation 31/2002 (with amendments up to and including Alberta Regulation 136/2016)
Early Childhood Policy 1.1.3
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Standards for Special Education
Standards for the Provision of Early Childhood Special Education
Kindergarten: Guide to Implementation 2000
Guide to Education
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised June 2019