School libraries and librarians represent an important component of an effective educational program and represent a significant resource centre for students wishing to pursue life-long learning, independent decision making, and personal development.
The Division believes that an effective integrated library program supported by a wide range of carefully selected learning resources can enhance the learning opportunities for students.
- The principal shall ensure that the school library provides a comprehensive collection of materials for student use that meets the following criteria:
- Stimulates growth and knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values and ethical standards;
- Provides information that will allow students to make considered judgments;
- Provides students with a perspective of our Canadian society and its many facets to show clearly the contributions of varied ethnic groups in our social, political, economic and creative life;
- Provides students with a global perspective; and
- Seeks a balance between fiction and non-fiction works as recommended by Alberta Education.
- The selection of learning materials will meet the directions laid out in the Controversial Issues section of The Guide to Education and comply with Administrative Procedure 205 – Controversial Issues – Education.
- Parents, students and members of the school community shall have the opportunity to challenge the appropriateness of certain materials in the school library or in the school (see Form 205-1: Reconsideration of Educational Materials).
- The principal and library personnel, in cooperation with classroom teachers, shall plan together a library program to supplement and enhance the classroom instructional program in the school.
- The principal, in cooperation with library personnel, shall ensure that an assessment of library materials be conducted once every five years.
- The principal, in cooperation with library personnel, shall prepare an annual budget for the purchasing of library materials as part of the school budgeting process (see Procedure 1).
- Library personnel shall ensure that the school library maintains an up-to-date listing of the appropriate library selection catalogues.
- The principal shall encourage the application of new technology systems and establish procedures for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the school library program.
Sections 18, 20, 39, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Reviewed July 2010