Reduction of Teaching Positions
Circumstances may dictate the reduction of teaching positions.
- The Superintendent will ensure that reduction selections are based on program needs. The following factors may result in a change in program needs:
- New and/or revised curriculum;
- Shifts in student enrolment;
- Financial restrictions;
- School closure or grade discontinuation; and
- Other reasons which the Superintendent deems relevant.
- The Deputy Superintendent shall first attempt to reduce teaching positions through attrition, leaves of absence, or change in employment status.
- If further reduction is necessary, the Deputy Superintendent shall reduce teaching positions in accordance with Administrative Procedure 423, Teacher Transfers.
- Finally, if further reduction is required, the Superintendent shall terminate contracts.
- The selection of teaching personnel to be terminated will be limited to the school or site where reduction is necessary, except in cases involving consolidation of student groupings from one school to another, where personnel to be terminated will be selected from the pooled staff of the affected schools.
- Other considerations, not ranked in order, may be:
- Academic qualifications;
- Relative performance; and
- Seniority with the School Division.
Sections 60, 61, 104, 106, 107, 109, 113 School Act
Employment Standards Code
Policy 14 – Hearings on Teacher Transfers
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised January 2012