Reduction of Teaching Positions
The Board may reduce the number of teachers employed by the Division.
- The Superintendent will ensure that reduction selections are based on program needs. The following factors may result in a change in program needs:
- New and/or revised curriculum;
- Shifts in student enrolment;
- Financial restrictions;
- School closure or grade discontinuation; and
- Other reasons which the Superintendent deems relevant.
- The Deputy Superintendent shall first attempt to reduce teaching positions through attrition, leaves of absence, or change in employment status.
- The selection of teaching personnel to be terminated can be limited to the school or site where reduction is necessary, except:
- In cases involving consolidation of student groupings from one school to another, where personnel to be terminated will be selected from the pooled staff of the affected schools; or
- If all teacher personnel at said school or site hold a Continuous Contract with the Board, where personnel to be terminated will be selected from the pooled Northern Gateway Public Schools teacher personnel staff.
- If further reduction is necessary, the Deputy Superintendent shall reduce teaching positions in accordance with Administrative Procedure 425 Teacher Transfers.
- If further reduction is required, the Superintendent shall terminate Continuous Contracts, considering, not ranked in order:
- Academic qualifications;
- Relative performance; and
- Seniority with the School Division.
Sections 52, 53, 212, 214, 215, 217, 222 Education Act
Employment Standards Code
Board Policy 14 – Hearings on Teacher Transfers
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised February 2020
Revised January 2012