School Bus Safety: Drivers
Qualified and well trained bus drivers contribute to a safe and efficient transportation service.
- Bus drivers shall be properly licensed, including an “S” endorsement.
- Bus drivers shall attend Division-sponsored bus safety seminars and First Aid programs.
- Bus drivers must be current in student management techniques.
- Bus drivers whose demerits on their operator’s license increase to a current total greater than six (6) shall be suspended from driving until demerits are reduced to six (6) or less.
- Bus drivers must meet the bona fide occupational requirements of the position, including having the necessary skills, abilities and condition to reasonably ensure the safety of students transported.
- The Director of Transportation has developed safety procedures to be followed by bus drivers.
- The safety procedures are outlined in our Student Transportation Health and Safety Program and Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan (August 2008).
- Bus operators are permitted to allow their preschool children to accompany them on school bus runs provided written application (Appendix I – Operator’s Children on Bus Request) is made and all terms and conditions outlined in the application form are met.
Sections 45, 51, 52, 60, 61, 113, 117 School Act
Traffic Safety Act
School Bus Operation Regulation
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (amended AR 197/2000)
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised February 2015