Annual Budget Development
The Division believes in following a defined process in developing the Division’s annual budget. The Superintendent, through the Secretary-Treasurer, responsibly promotes a budget development process that reflects distributed decision making, adheres to statutory timelines and that is both participatory and cyclical.
- The Board will establish annual budget priorities in accordance with the direction of the Division’s Three-Year Education Plan and the guidelines of Alberta Education’s Funding Framework.
- Budget planning and process shall be a responsibility of the Secretary-Treasurer.
- The budget shall be prepared in accordance with provincial requirements as stated in legislation and regulations.
- The Division's budget shall be balanced.
- The best educational interest of students, together with the principles of fairness and equity, shall be the primary focus of all budget decisions.
- The budget shall identify new or discontinued programs and/or initiatives.
- Targeted grants shall be expended in accordance with the associated grant rules.
- The Division's budget shall allow for the establishment of a centrally pooled instructional services fund, after consultation with principals.
- The annual budget shall be presented for Board approval on or before May 31, unless the submission deadline is amended by Alberta Education.
- The Secretary-Treasurer is accountable to the Superintendent for the effective control of expenditures within the budgetary limits established for the sites and schools.
- Sites shall develop budgets in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and within a standardized format established by the Secretary-Treasurer.
- All site budgets shall be managed by the Site Administrators and Principals through the Division’s accounting system.
- The Site Administrators and Principals are responsible for developing their respective budgets within the timelines identified by the Secretary- Treasurer.
- The Site Administrators and Principals are responsible and accountable for financial decisions under their delegated authority.
Sections 33, 52, 138, Part 6 Education Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
School Authority Accountability policy 2.1.1
Business Plans and Results Reports policy 3.2.1
Accountability in Education – Policy Framework, June 1995
Guide to Education Planning and Results Reporting
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised April 2020
Revised March 2014