Financial Accountability and Audits
The Division believes that its financial affairs must be managed in a manner consistent with the Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards and within legislative and regulatory requirements.
- The Division’s financial systems and records will be subject to an external audit. The Division external auditors will be recommended by the Audit Committee.
- Division and school accounts and accounting practices will be subject to internal or external audit at the discretion of the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Accounting procedures will follow generally accepted accounting principles where these are not inconsistent with the requirements of Alberta Education.
- The Secretary-Treasurer will ensure that adequate control mechanisms are in place to guarantee the integrity of the Division’s financial transactions and records.
- Financial records of school funds will be maintained in accordance with the format prescribed by the Secretary-Treasurer.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall present interim quarterly financial reports to the Board of Trustees.
- Copies of the audited financial statement shall be submitted to the Minister of Education annually by November 30, unless the submission deadline is amended by Alberta Education.
- Division audited financial statements shall be made available on the Division website.
Sections 33, 52, 65, 138, 139 Education Act
Board Policy 8 Committees of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised April 2020
Created June 2008