Naming of Facilities
Naming a school, a portion of a school, or a school system facility is a matter that deserves thoughtful attention.
- The Superintendent shall authorize the formation of a committee for the naming of a school or a portion of a school.
- The committee may have representation from the community at large, school administration, the local teaching staff, parents, and the students.
- The community at large may include representation from the historical societies, senior citizens, or groups who may have an interest in being represented.
- Each representative group shall be limited to a maximum of two members.
- The committee shall determine the process that will be followed in soliciting input in the naming process.
- The names considered shall:
- Have significance for the students, parents and the community of the particular facility;
- Be easily identifiable with the facility;
- Not be in conflict with the names of other facilities in the system, or surrounding districts; and
- Be appropriate in terms of copyright and trademark provisions.
- Where possible, new facilities shall be assigned names before construction begins.
- The Board is responsible for approval of names of all Division-owned facilities.
Sections 60, 61, 113 School Act
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent
Revised May 2011