Student Transportation Safety Procedures
The Division believes in maintaining appropriate procedures for the safe operation of the student transportation system.
- The Director of Transportation shall ensure that safety procedures for the transportation of students are developed and that students receive appropriate education regarding procedures.
- The Director of Transportation shall ensure the development of behavioral expectations for students being transported and that students receive appropriate instruction regarding expectations.
- The Director of Transportation shall ensure that appropriate safety standards are developed for safe operation of the transportation system. Such standards shall include but not be limited to:
- Railroad crossings;
- Accident procedures;
- Bus evacuations.
- Railroad Crossings
- School buses shall stop at all uncontrolled railroad crossings; and
- School buses shall slow down, activate hazard lights and proceed with caution through all controlled railroad crossings.
- The bus driver shall report any accident involving his/her school bus, regardless how minor, to the Director of Transportation as soon as possible after the accident occurs.
- In the event of an accident, the Director of Transportation shall ensure that the appropriate authorities and the affected parents/guardians are informed.
- The Director of Transportation shall be responsible for setting up alternate busing arrangements.
- The Director of Transportation or the Superintendent shall inform the trustees of the bus accident as soon as possible.
- Where there are injuries or a possibility of injuries the bus driver or other responsible employees shall ensure students receive medical examinations.
- The Director of Transportation shall investigate all bus accidents and decide whether a driver will be suspended from the approved driver’s list until a Board hearing.
- The Director of Transportation shall prepare a written report regarding the circumstances of each bus accident and forward a copy to the Superintendent.
- Evacuation Training
- The Director of Transportation shall develop, maintain and provide in-service opportunities for bus drivers on evacuation procedures.
- The Director of Transportation shall ensure students on each bus receive instructions on evacuation procedures to follow in case of a school bus accident.
- Annually the Director of Transportation in consultation with principals shall arrange for an explanation of bus evacuation procedures for all K-6 students. Drivers shall ensure that appropriate procedures are in place for students with special needs.
- Early in September all bus drivers shall perform two (2) evacuation drills on the school site, one (1) exiting from the rear of the bus and one (1) exiting from the front of the bus.
- Bus drivers shall advise the Director of Transportation of the date and method of each evacuation drill conducted.
Sections 25, 45, 51, 52, 60, 61, 113, 117 School Act
Traffic Safety Act
School Bus Operation Regulation
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (amended AR 197/2000)
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent