Student Transportation Contract Services
The Division believes that it may be appropriate to contract all or part of its student transportation services.
- The Director of Transportation Services has established selection criteria in determining successful applicants for bus contracts (Form 555-1).
- The Division is the sole owner of every bus route.
- The Director of Transportation Services shall establish procedures for the advertising of all the school bus contract opportunities.
- When an existing contract is due to expire, the current contractor may, subject to satisfactory service, be offered the Right of First Refusal of the new term contract.
- When it is necessary to contract additional or replacement buses, the following shall apply:
- The Director of Transportation shall place an advertisement listing the Division’s requirements in local papers circulated within the Division. This advertisement shall also be mailed to all bus operators currently under contract with the Division.
- All applicants for open contracts shall be required to provide the Division with the following information:
- References who may be contacted with regard to the character and ability of the proposed contract holder;
- Driver’s abstract for the person intended to be the regular bus driver if the contract were awarded;
- Description of the bus that will be used if the contract were awarded. The description shall include the year, make and model of the bus; and
- All relevant information as to previous experience.
- All applications received shall be reviewed and short-listed by the Director of Transportation (Short-listed and selection of bus contractors shall be conducted in accordance with the established criteria (Form 555-1).
- Short-listed applicants will be interviewed by the Director of Transportation and appropriate Division personnel.
- The maximum number of contracts to be held by any contractor shall not exceed forty (40).
- The Superintendent shall award the contractual agreements based upon appropriate selection criteria.
Sections 25, 45, 51, 52, 60, 61, 113, 117 School Act
Traffic Safety Act
School Bus Operation Regulation
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (amended AR 197/2000)
Board Policy 2 Role of the Board
Board Policy 12 Role of the Superintendent