Involvement in education as a substitute teacher can be an extremely rewarding experience.
In the absence of the regular classroom teacher to help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms.
- Report to school office at beginning of school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials. Follow sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
- Carry out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curricular goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employ instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Take attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicate to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behaviour in the class in accordance with school and Northern Gateway Public Schools policies. Build rapport with students.
- Ensure that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- Potentially perform duties usually required of absent teacher such as supervision.
- Know emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Know procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems.
- Know school procedures and regulations.
- Perform other related duties as directed by the principal.
Do you have an Education degree and are you interested in being a substitute in one of our schools? Please submit an application form!
Are you wishing to be involved in our schools but are not a certificated teacher? Please complete this application form!